Saturday, June 20, 2009

Eat, Pray, Love by Elizabeth Gilbert

I've been late to join the legions of readers, but join I have - and the fan club too what's more.

I had half read so many reviews in recent months from various bloggers. Somewhere along the line I developed the impression that this would be a bit of a cerebral read and quite hard work. It was neither.

Definitely thought provoking but not cerebral in terms of a difficult intellectual work out.

I can't wait for my great friend to read this so we can have our inaugural book group meet about it. Just an excuse to catch up regularly, in truth.

I want to go back and ear mark the passages that really resonated with me.
"Happiness is the consequence of personal effort. You fight for it, strive for it, insist upon it, and sometimes even travel around the world looking for it. You have to participate relentlessly in the manifestations of your own blessings. And once you have achieved a state of happiness, you must never become lax about maintaining it, you must make a mighty effort to keep on swimming upward into that happiness forever, to stay afloat on top of it. If you don't, you will leak away your innate
contentment. It's easy enough to pray when you're in distress but continuing to pray even when your crisis has passed is like a sealing process, helping your soul hold tight to its good attainments."
An easy reading, light, deep, funny, moving inspiration.

3 comments:

  1. The story, her writing, a bit of both or something else? I was captivated but can well understand how it wouldn't be everyone's cup of tea.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You know I can't even remember what I hated. I certainly didn't finish it, I don't even think I got half way through it but I remember being very disappointed. I will have to have another look at it and then I will tell you. It was years ago, maybe I was expecting funny...

    ReplyDelete